
So this post is for my Canadian friends! I wanted to share with you one of my favourite places - Chatsworth House in Derbyshire, England http://www.chatsworth.org/ I could try and kid you that this was my ancestral home, but I know you're all wise to my sense of humour by now!
Anyway, I have just finished watching some DVDs that my parents send over of television programmes that I would have watched if I still lived in England - mostly period dramas. They recently sent me Lost in Austen. I watched (or rather tried to watch) the first episode when we were on our canal holiday in Wales during this last summer. The reception on the TV wasn't great, so we lost much of the details, but we got the gist of the story. Amanda Price is a 21st century girl living in the hustle and bustle of Hammersmith, London. She is a thoroughly modern Miss who yearns for a man with the mannerisms of a bygone age - not the uncouth boyfriend who wants to marry her! In the tradition of the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, a portal opens in the wall behind her bath and she steps through into the world of Jane Austen's, Pride & Prejudice. She lives as a guest with the Bennett family in 19th century England and eventually meets the dashing Mr. Darcy and then ............................. all hell breaks loose! Now they've got the basic plot, Jen, Lorraine & Sheila can watch episodes 2, 3 & 4 if they want to!
Now back to Chatsworth House. Parts of the television series were filmed at this stately home and it took me right back to memories of the many happy hours that I've spent there, often in the company of my Godmother, Lyn. I expect that there's snow on the ground there too at the moment - magical!

Pleeeaaase! Definitely want to watch! Sounds like lots of fun. :)
ReplyDeletePS. DONE my exams!!!
HI M!
ReplyDeleteOooh, you've got me Austenizing as we speak! Must see must see!
Jen Austen
Seconding the pleading for the cd's. We'd love to watch this! Perhaps we'll all get invited to tea at Chatsworth!! HaHa
ReplyDeletehello Marrianne - would loooooove to see it!!!!
ReplyDelete:)
sonya
Cor, Mr. Darcy could have had me if he'd played his cards right!! His house isn't bad either!!
ReplyDeleteHi Marianne,
ReplyDeleteI thought I'd tell that once I went to Chatsworth Garden centre and farm shop to buy 18 sweetpea plants for our friends to grow up their heating oil tanks to disguise them! We bought 18 pots but when we got home discovered there were 6 plants in each of them. Thats a lot of sweet peas.They were finally planted along the stables and made a wonderful display throughout the summer. Never lived it down though...ever!
P.s. I loved 'Lost in Austen'.
love to you and Sadik, Have a lovely Christmas 2008. Jane Dilieto, Suffolk England. Cousin to Pioneers.