Tuesday, July 5, 2011

May I present.............................


Homage to the Loom.

My first tapestry woven on my floor loom is finally complete after eighteen months and I am very, very pleased with the end result. Although, it seems that the hardest part is yet to come ................ cutting it off! Perhaps, when I eventually decide on what I want to weave next, the time will have come. For now it has pride of place in my living room, framed by the loom itself.

You will remember that my loom is made of both the wood of the oak and the fir tree. Hence the inclusion of the acorn and the fir cone in the design. The acorn is on the left, representing my English roots, while the fir cone is on the right for my Canadian future. They are both embraced by the branches of the Tree of Life......... which, in my mind, also represents the arms of my Mum & Dad. The frame at the start of the tapestry is based on a William Morris design, also part of my English heritage. It depicts the early part of my life, framed by boundaries, the security of knowing my place in the world - child, daughter, student. Happy to move away from my comfort zone, the frame becomes broken and Life's big experiment begins, although the fir cone is still cosseted, knows she is loved. It was a later decision to add the sunset and archway, but they have come to represent my desire to always look forward to the next sunset, never looking back, no room for regrets. The archway is more spiritual than religious, a frame that allows for endless possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd LOVE you to leave comments about my blog and pleeeeeease share something of yourself too! However, if you want to leave a personal message you can use my usual email address.