Monday, May 4, 2009

Mary, Mary, quite contrary..........


Have you ever seen such beautiful apple blossom? This little two-year-old tree is covered in it! Even if we don't get many apples, I'm happy.

So......... how does our garden grow? Well, yesterday we planted two apple trees, three rhubarb plants, three pots of raspberries with a few canes in each pot, two gooseberry bushes and 28 strawberry crowns. A good days work before the (VERY welcome) rain started lightly falling!

We also topped up two of the raised vegetable beds with manure, compost and peat moss, ready to start planting in a couple of weeks time (when the weather warms up a little more). The third raised bed already has some chinese greens and lettuce growing AND I have some onion sets coming up already - I only put these in last weekend!

We also bought a compost bin, which we've put in the veggie garden so that the bears aren't tempted - so far they're staying in our neighbours gardens!

After last week's gorgeous warm Spring weather, this week is going to be wet & cool - perfect! Did I say that I was happy?! I'm not sure that I'm saving any money by growing my own food, but it sure is satisfying!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd LOVE you to leave comments about my blog and pleeeeeease share something of yourself too! However, if you want to leave a personal message you can use my usual email address.