Hmmmmmmmm...................... clotted cream tea or butter tart....................... clotted cream tea or butter tart............................. CLOTTED CREAM TEA! It's a hard decision, but that 58% fat cream has to win hands down! OMG just imagine what 58% fat cream does to your arteries?! Apparently, you can make it yourself - which is just as well, as the thickest cream I can get here is whipping cream! In England you can buy single cream, extra thick single cream, whipping cream, double cream, extra thick double cream and clotted cream (and most of these come low fat as well - which is obviously a waste of space!). The BIG debate with cream tea is whether the jam or the cream goes on the scone first. As you can see Mum & I are 'jam first' girls!
I don't think we have butter tarts in England. I recently had a butter tart BAR at Serious Coffee which was yummy! (although Jen would have said it was YUKOLA as it had raisins in it that were decidedly PLUMP!).
Ooooooohhhhh........... I'm making myself hungry! Can you send some birthday cake over here Sheila?! Hope you're having a lovely evening.
I will leave you with a short video taken from the balcony where we ate our clotted cream teas in Dartmouth. It was taken on a Sunday evening when the bell-ringers where playing before the evening service - REAL church bells, not a recording!
Love the churchbells and YUMMOLA!!!
ReplyDelete(except for the plump-dudes; the raisons d'etre, who have no business being etten!) :>D
Lovely. Thanks for the video.
J.
Love the bells too!! I really miss that about living in Switzerland - we recorded them at the main city church before we left, with tears streaming down our sad faces !! :-(
ReplyDeleteOn to butter tarts and clotted cream - Hmmm, that IS a hard one. Unlike Jen, who has decidedly questionable taste in dried fruit (or lack thereof), I must say that a first class butter tart is not first class WITHOUT the raisins - plump or otherwise. On the side of the clotted cream, I can only compare with the Doppel-Rahm from Switzerland which is decadently eaten with large meringues - and yes, you can feel your arteries crying out for mercy, right through the moans of delight emminating from your throat :-) I am not sure that the clotted cream isn't thicker - it probably is - but the Doppel-Rahm is VERY thick; I have never seen anything to compare with it here :-( (or, maybe that's a good thing).
I'm calling it a tie - call me a fence-sitter if you like, just bring me one of each and a nice, hot cuppa to wash it all down!! :-)