Friday, January 23, 2009

Socked-in Vancouver


Don't ask me where this Canadian expression comes from, but the UK equivalent would be a pea-souper (I also don't know where that comes from!). Anyway....... Vancouver and Vancouver Island has been under a blanket of fog for nearly two weeks. It has been a wee bit depressing, especially as I have often left our house in glorious sunshine, only to go down the mountain into a murky gloom. However, I was cheered by these photographs yesterday which show a more magical quality to our current weather. The first picture shows the tips of the Lions Gate bridge in Vancouver rising up above the fog and the second picture shows the same bridge under the shroud. Beautiful! Today, the fog finally left us and I am almost sad .........almost, but not quite!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that is beautiful! I too, for one, am thrilled beyond belief that the fog has decided to grace us no longer!!!

    Hugs,
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pea Soup, or Pea Souper is an idiom for fog. Although it is sometimes used for any thick fog, it refers particularly to a yellowish smog caused by the burning of soft coal. Such fogs were prevalent in UK cities (particularly London) prior to passage of the Clean Air Act of 1956. An 1871 New York Times article refers to "London, particularly, where the population are periodically submerged in a fog of the consistency of pea soup..."
    Love from a survivor XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Survivor of the Pea Soup! Email me so I know who you are :D I assume I know you, seeing as you send me love & kisses!

    ReplyDelete

I'd LOVE you to leave comments about my blog and pleeeeeease share something of yourself too! However, if you want to leave a personal message you can use my usual email address.