So when I (finally!) finished my first knitting project I wanted to use a yarn that was spun & dyed locally and develop the happy accident that occured in my previous scarf. This Island and all the surrounding smaller islands are SO creative - now I just need to improve my skills and begin to feel that I deserve to use the yarn that I have chosen!
I found a great website with some beautiful yarn, but I'd like to actually see the wool for myself before I purchase some and none of the local shops stock it. http://www.indigomoonyarns.com/index.html
Then I found some equally beautiful yarn at http://handmaiden.ca/ and luckily I found it in stock at a shop up-island. The colour that they had wasn't available on the Handmaiden website anymore, so I was even more tempted! I LOVE the colours - they are so me - and the texture and feel of the yarn is so luxurious. It is going to make the most expensive scarf I have ever worn, but as I said earlier, I am the West Coast's slowest knitter and so this is actually proving to be a very cheap pastime if I break the cost down into hours of pleasure!
Now..... about that happy accident. In the middle of my first scarf I accidentally put in an extra row of knit and then a row of purl and it separated the pattern in a very pleasing way! So I've deliberately done this in this scarf - click on the photo above to enlarge it and see the pattern in more detail. I've also added a 'frame' around the pattern to stop the edges curling - I thought of this all by my tiny self, so I'm feeling enormously proud - can you see my cheshire cat grin?!
Hi Marianne,
ReplyDeleteLOVE the journal. Just love it!!
Hats off and scarves ON, to you!
The new scarf looks fabulous. The colours are brilliant!!
You know I showed you the bright blue cowl I'd knitted with circular needles when I'd had laser surgery and couldn't see well enough to notice I was dropping stitches?
What a hoot.
Now I have to use my laser-like superman eyes to find that teeny tiny excellent ball of bright blue in my closet full of fabric and wool, in order to take a great darning needle and cover up those errors.
No, I cannot say I subscribe to the notion of not fixing knitting boo-boos.
Like the yarnharlot (knitter extraordinaire) I tend to "frog" my knitting as soon as possible after a deranged mistake.
But I'm no perfectionist.
(notice occasional spelling errors that I care not a fig for after pressing "send". ha ha.)
So, there's something about ME, just as you've asked.
hahhahaha! I'm laughing, and your U.K. family will realize your friends here on the West Coast are a bit eccentric. hahahhaha. Oh that made me laugh even more.
Best and keep knitting; incred-IBBBLE!!!
Best, Jen :>)
Oh yes, and hey you two: My favourite Canadian blog and my favourite knitting blog all in one:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/
Had to let you know the link.
The use of the "H" word in the above title is proof of Canadian humour at work.
Enjoy. Jen :>)
Simply loverly! I have been attempting to knit a bit myself, and slowly but surely, it's coming. :) I'm still a crochet-er at heart. So, I can figure out crochet patterns just by looking, but I'm not that good yet with knitting, so exactly what is the pattern you've used for this scarf? Two rows of knit and then?
ReplyDeleteAnd as for you being the slowest knitter...I doubt it. I think I take the blue ribbon on that one! :)
Hugs,
Sheila
Oh Marianne, your knitting is lovely!! I'm afraid that I gave up on the pastime quite some time ago - it's hard to knit and read at the same time :-0 and reading always wins out with me. I must say though, that now that there are so many happy knitters in my circle of friends, that perhaps I will yet be inspired to pick up the needles again and make a wooly fool of myself with them HaHa!
ReplyDeleteWonderful scarf - very creative!
ReplyDeleteLove the accidental pattern. Did you get it from Indigo Moon? Trish hand-dyes all the yarn herself from her organic garden on Gabriola.I'm terrible at creating things, I started knitting a toy elephant when I was pregnant, and its still unfinished 18+ years later. Oh well. Hope to see you soon, love Tanya xxx